Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sick. And not in the "cool" way.

So, if you've been on the phone with me, or anywhere near me, you may have realized that my voice is going through these stages where it sounds like Joan Jett, a smoker, a pubescent boy, Brad Favazza, and sometimes, nothing at all.  Whatever's going around, I got it.

I've been croaking for four days now, and have been prescribed a cabinet full of drugs, cough syrup, AND an inhaler.  I'm just that cool.

I was talking to my roommate, Kelsey, about my habit of complaining.  I prefer to think of it as a wry running commentary on my life.  And I ALWAYS have a comment.  That being said, I like to point to my heritage.  I always say, there is PLENTY of evidenciary support for the biological heritage of the "complaining" gene throughout the history of the Jews.  I mean, c'mon.  Read Exodus.  Consider the contexts of the Pauline epistles.  Watch the Nanny.  All solid, legitimate sources of Jew-hooing over pretty much nothing.

Anyway, I was pointing this out to my roommate, and she said...

"Watch out! I think your people get swallowed up by the earth, periodically, for complaining!"

Christi: "Uh...I don't think so.  That was for stealing, wasn't it?  Silver from the temple?  Arguing with      
Moses?  That kind of thing.... and I definitely haven't stolen temple silver OR argued with Moses."

Kelsey: "True.  But didn't the Israelite people get in big trouble for grumbling?"

Christi: "Yeah!  But it was Moses, 'cause he hit the rock with the stick, instead of waiting for God to give water, so he couldn't enter the Promised Land.  The Israelites didn't get swallowed up, they just got... sick."

Kelsey: (pointed silence)

God has a sense of humor.

1 comment: